Each circumstances trigger menstrual issues, which might result in heavy bleeding. They will additionally make it tough to get pregnant.
The opposite signs are completely different, nonetheless. Additionally they contain completely different hormonal points. Endometriosis is linked to extra estrogen, a feminine hormone. PCOS is attributable to extra androgens, or male hormones. It’s additionally attainable to have each circumstances on the similar time.
In flip, the circumstances trigger completely different signs and require completely different therapies. Let’s discover the distinction between endometriosis vs. PCOS.
Endometriosis and PCOS share some signs, together with heavy bleeding and issue getting pregnant. However many of the signs are completely different.
It’s additionally attainable to have these circumstances with none signs. Generally, the signs is likely to be delicate or misdiagnosed.
Endometriosis and PCOS are widespread amongst individuals who have vaginas and are of reproductive age.
With PCOS, a 2017 examine discovered that it impacts 5 to 20 percent of girls of childbearing age. The identical examine additionally discovered that about 80 percent of girls who’re experiencing infertility resulting from lack of ovulation have PCOS.
Let’s go over the 2 circumstances in slightly extra element.
The tissue that traces your uterus known as the endometrium. Endometriosis happens when tissue much like the endometrium grows in different components of the physique.
The situation is related to excessive ranges of estradiol, a sort of estrogen. Estradiol is accountable for uterine tissue progress.
Endometriosis sometimes impacts reproductive organs, corresponding to:
- exterior of the uterus
- fallopian tubes
- uterosacral ligaments
- anyplace between the bladder, uterus, and vagina
It might additionally have an effect on areas exterior the pelvic cavity, together with the:
The tissue could thicken and bleed throughout your menstrual cycle, just like the tissue in your uterus. This will trigger ache, irritation, and infertility.
PCOS is a hormonal dysfunction that impacts your ovaries. The first traits of PCOS embrace:
- irregular or no durations
- excessive ranges of androgens
- cysts in a single or each ovaries
In case you have PCOS, you’ll probably have a minimum of two of the above circumstances. It’s attainable to have PCOS with out ovarian cysts.
The precise causes of endometriosis and PCOS are unknown. Nonetheless, researchers have recognized attainable explanations.
- Retrograde menstruation: This occurs when uterine tissue flows by fallopian tubes and into the pelvic cavity throughout your interval.
- Immune system issues: Retrograde menstruation impacts virtually all individuals who have vaginas and who’re menstruating, however the immune system usually manages it. Nonetheless, if in case you have an immune system downside, endometriosis could happen.
- Coelomic metaplasia: Some cells could flip into endometrial cells, which can clarify endometriosis that happens in areas removed from the uterus.
- Endometrial cell transport: Your lymphatic system or blood vessels could carry endometrial cells to different areas.
- Submit-surgery implantation: After some surgical procedures, like a hysterectomy, endometrial cells would possibly implant themselves on the surgical website.
- Hormonal imbalance: Excessive ranges of sure hormones, like testosterone, could contribute to PCOS.
- Insulin resistance: In case your physique is unable to successfully use insulin, your insulin ranges could also be too excessive. This will make your ovaries produce extra male hormones.
- Irritation: Extra irritation may result in excessive ranges of male hormones.
Sure danger elements improve your probabilities of creating these two circumstances.
- household historical past of endometriosis
- beginning menstruation early (earlier than 11 years outdated)
- quick menstrual cycles (lower than 27 days)
- heavy menstrual bleeding for greater than 7 days
- by no means giving beginning
It’s price noting that you may nonetheless develop endometriosis if you happen to’ve given beginning.
- household historical past of PCOS
- being chubby or overweight
- fast weight acquire
Being chubby can improve your danger of insulin resistance, resulting in diabetes. Nevertheless it’s attainable to develop PCOS if you happen to aren’t chubby.
You’ll be able to have endometriosis and PCOS on the similar time. In truth, a 2015 study discovered that girls with PCOS usually tend to be identified with endometriosis.
One other 2014 study decided that there’s a powerful hyperlink between endometriosis and PCOS with pelvic ache and/or bother getting pregnant.
In line with an older 2011 study, the excessive ranges of androgens and insulin in PCOS may not directly improve estradiol. This may increasingly improve the danger of endometriosis.
Your physician will use a number of exams to find out if in case you have endometriosis, PCOS, or each.
Usually, your physician will use these exams if in case you have signs like irregular durations. But when don’t have signs, you could obtain a prognosis when you’re being handled for one thing else.
- Medical historical past: A health care provider will ask about pre-existing circumstances and if in case you have kinfolk with endometriosis.
- Pelvic examination: They’ll verify for scars and much.
- Imaging exams: An imaging check, like an ultrasound or MRI, produces detailed photos of your organs.
- Blood exams: This will determine irregular ranges of inflammatory markers and hormones.
- Laparoscopy: A surgeon creates a small incision and checks for irregular tissue progress.
- Medical historical past: Your loved ones historical past and well being standing will help a physician decide if PCOS is a attainable trigger.
- Pelvic examination: This enables them to search for cysts and different growths.
- Ultrasound: An ultrasound creates a picture of your ovaries and uterus.
- Blood exams: Irregular hormonal ranges of inflammatory markers could point out PCOS.
Each circumstances are handled with varied types of medicine and surgical procedure.
Therapy focuses on lowering estrogen and ache. Choices embrace:
- Remedy for estrogen: Remedy, like contraception, will help scale back estrogen and regulate progress of endometrial tissue.
- Ache medicine: Over-the-counter ache medicine could present reduction.
- Surgical elimination of tissue: A surgeon removes endometrial tissue progress.
- Hysterectomy: Hysterectomy, or elimination of the uterus, could also be really useful if you happen to’re not making an attempt to conceive.
- Way of life adjustments: A balanced, nutrient-rich diet will help handle your signs.
The objective is to induce ovulation and reduce androgens. Therapies embrace:
- Remedy: When you’re making an attempt to conceive, you may take medicine to set off ovulation. If not, you may take birth control or diabetes medicine to cut back androgens.
- Pimples or hair medicine: These medicine assist handle pimples or extra hair progress.
- Laparoscopic ovarian drilling: If ovulation medicine don’t assist, your physician would possibly advocate this surgical procedure. It destroys the androgen-releasing tissue within the ovaries.
- Weight administration: A wholesome diet and common train may enable you to drop extra pounds, which can handle your signs.
Go to a gynecologist if in case you have:
- pelvic pain
- ache or bleeding between durations
- elevated menstrual bleeding
- irregular or no durations
- ache throughout or after intercourse
- issue getting pregnant
In each endometriosis and PCOS, early prognosis is essential for controlling signs. That’s why it’s essential to attend your annual gynecology checkups.
You may additionally be referred to endocrinologist, or a physician that makes a speciality of hormones.
In endometriosis, uterine tissue grows in different components of the physique, inflicting ache and infertility. It’s linked to excessive estrogen ranges, so remedy focuses on lowering estrogen and ache.
PCOS, then again, is because of excessive ranges of androgens. It might trigger infertility and ovarian cysts.
Endometriosis and PCOS are widespread. It’s additionally attainable to have each on the similar time. In case you have irregular durations or issue conceiving, go to your gynecologist.