Dandruff itself doesn’t trigger hair loss, however the two could also be linked. It’s because some infections and medical situations may cause each dandruff and hair loss.
Dandruff is quite common. Folks with dandruff and dandruff-like signs would possibly lose hair, particularly if the dandruff is extreme.
The reason for the hair loss will not be the dandruff itself. As an alternative, it’s the reason for the dandruff that additionally results in hair loss.
That mentioned, extreme dandruff could injury the scalp or hair follicles, inflicting hair to skinny or cease rising.
Anybody who suspects that dandruff is inflicting hair loss ought to see a dermatologist to make sure that the issue will not be one thing else.
This text seems on the hyperlink between dandruff and hair loss, prevention, and when to see a health care provider.
Dandruff refers back to the dry, itchy flakes of pores and skin that develop on the scalp. It’s a symptom, not a particular prognosis.
Many elements may cause dandruff, equivalent to dry pores and skin, food regimen, stress, and a few shampoos and hair merchandise.
Dandruff itself doesn’t trigger hair loss. Nevertheless, extreme dandruff may cause an individual to scratch their scalp so laborious that they injure it.
Repeated inflammation within the hair follicles may cause injury and scarring, slowing or stopping hair development. This could trigger weak or thinning hair. Twisting the hair, aggressively brushing it, or scratching the scalp could make such a hair loss worse.
Some medical situations also can trigger dandruff or flaky pores and skin on the scalp, together with seborrheic dermatitis, eczema, scalp psoriasis, and scalp ringworm. A few of these situations are additionally related to hair loss.
Any situation that causes pores and skin flakiness or makes the outer layer of pores and skin shed at an unusually quick fee could trigger dandruff.
If an individual doesn’t search remedy, these situations can also injury the scalp and trigger hair loss.
The next situations may cause each dandruff and hair loss:
- Fungal infections: Tinea capitis, or ringworm, may cause intense itching on the scalp. Some folks additionally discover dry flakes or blisters, and the hair could fall out in clumps. Another fungal infections also can trigger dandruff signs and result in hair loss. Antifungal therapies might help deal with these situations.
- Scalp psoriasis: Psoriasis is a sort of autoimmune situation that may have an effect on the scalp, inflicting itchy, scaly patches to develop. Though it’s not dandruff, it causes dandruff-like signs. An individual could discover bald spots the place the scaly patches develop.
- Folliculitis decalvans: This uncommon inflammatory situation destroys hair follicles. It additionally causes itchy purple patches to develop on the scalp. An individual might imagine that they’ve dandruff due to the itching that this situation causes.
- Lichen planopilaris: Extra frequent in ladies, lichen planopilaris causes a dry, flaky rash to develop on the scalp. It could possibly additionally trigger the hair to fall out in clumps. Dandruff therapies won’t deal with this situation, however the signs are much like these of dandruff.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: Seborrheic dermatitis can have an effect on any a part of the physique. It generally impacts the scalp, the place it might trigger a purple or grayish scaly rash that itches, in addition to greasy patches. Left untreated, it might injury the hair follicles. Aggressively scratching the realm could intensify the injury.
Any situation that causes the scalp to itch or burn could trigger hair loss when an individual scratches their scalp or twists their hair. Kids specifically could reply to scalp ache by pulling the hair.
In folks with each dandruff and hair loss, there is no such thing as a assure that the 2 are linked. Some folks could have dandruff, maybe as a result of dry pores and skin, in addition to a situation that causes hair loss, such as:
Folks with a historical past of dandruff could expertise occasional flares of dandruff, even after efficiently treating it.
The next are some methods that may forestall dandruff-related hair loss:
- See a dermatologist or different healthcare supplier for dandruff that doesn’t reply to dandruff shampoo or different therapies.
- If the hair comes out in clumps, see a health care provider, as this may occasionally sign one other scalp or hair situation.
- Shampoo the hair repeatedly. Rare washing could improve the chance of dandruff. The American Academy of Dermatology suggest that Caucasian and Asian folks wash their hair each day, and that African American folks wash their hair weekly.
- Fastidiously comply with the directions on the bottle of dandruff shampoo. Some shampoos might have to stay on the scalp for a number of minutes to be efficient.
- Keep away from aggressively brushing or twisting the hair and massaging or scratching the scalp. If the itching is insufferable, ask a healthcare supplier about remedy to assist with itching.
- Avoid very tight hairstyles. These could injury the scalp and hair follicles, slowing hair development. Tight hairstyles can also break the hair.
- Don’t delay dandruff remedy. Use a dandruff shampoo on the first signal of dandruff and search medical recommendation if signs don’t enhance inside per week or two.
Some folks could discover that their dandruff shampoo leaves the hair boring or dry. Dry, broken hair breaks extra simply and will fall out. Use a top quality conditioner after dandruff remedy.
If the injury persists, strive alternating dandruff shampoo with one other shampoo.
Dandruff is quite common, and most of the people are capable of handle the signs with residence remedy.
Folks with dandruff are unlikely to lose their hair. Nevertheless, untreated dandruff could also be a wrongdoer in hair loss. Even when dandruff will not be the first trigger, it might injury the scalp and speed up hair loss as a result of different causes.
Quite a few situations can mimic the signs of dandruff. If dandruff doesn’t get higher with residence remedy, if the itching turns into insupportable, or if the hair continues to fall out, see a dermatologist.